Thursday, August 16, 2007

7 habits of highly effective people and P/PC Balance theory

Currently, my fiancé is working like hell to meet the deadline of a BIG project with a big CUSTOMER. During this time, I am reading 7 habits of highly effective people. I am reading the part about the balance between P Production (the golden egg) and PC Production Capability (the goose). It was related to a fable about a farmer who had a goose that can produce a golden egg each day. The egg is pure gold and he became fabulously wealthy. However, as his increasing wealth became greed and impatience; he decided to kill the goose to get all the golden eggs at once. But there were no golden eggs when he opened the goose. Then, there was no way for him to get any more golden eggs.



I recognized that the boss of my fiancé’s company is having excessive focus on P, on the goose, by asking employees to work harder and longer hours (although they are normally working longer hours than other jobs). It will result in ruined health, worn-out machines, and broken relationships. And then, little by little, the employee will begin to resign… As the matter of fact, a number of employees left, leaving him, the boss in the current kind of shit… Actually, he is not like killing the goose or something like that, but he was like feeding the goose once a day (he did treated the staff dinner or supper) and asking it the produce 100 golden eggs per day. I know that he is in the bad position, in short of man power. But he’s the one who leads him in this situation, he’s the one who refused to make enough salary increment to the staff when he’s got the chance, he’s the one who did not manage the project properly… Anyway, I am not trying to blame him or something. I just want to remind myself, if I became a boss, I will need to treat the staff well, as first priority, planed the project properly to avoid any last minute rush. I will need to focus on the long term benefit, not the details to make it perfect in one second but let the whole project being delayed for months…

No comments: