Saturday, July 28, 2007

Yet another argument

This time is about how we are going to share housework.

Yesterday, I ordered Mc Donalds for both of us. After finishing half of the fries, we was short of chili sauce. I would like to have some more. Thinking I already ordered the food, I asked him to get some chili sauce but he refused to do so and kept watching the tv behind us. I felt like pretty upset, wondering whether he will help me later for the housework, when we will be staying together. The argument was over that problem... I have to accept that was a small thing, he, as a man, did not feel like doing it... Anyway, I was still feeling upset... asking him to do such a small thing yet being refused...

Today, I decided to 'do research' on the problem... Just figured out that from recent surveys, key for good marriage is sharing housework... The Pew Research Center survey on marriage and parenting found that children had fallen to eighth out of nine on a list of factors that people associate with successful marriages -- well behind "sharing household chores," "good housing," "adequate income," a "happy sexual relationship" and "faithfulness." Chore-sharing was cited as very important by 62 percent of respondents, up from 47 percent in 1990.

Alright then, I have to work more on this problem because based on my experience, I will be the one who will do most housework. How to let go with the problem like this completely, not feeling upset after and adding up with another same incidents later on. I found out an article saying some advice that can help the problem. That is SAYING THANK YOU. Yes, it is that simple, but not that easy to do.

A. For me, the one who voluntarily (by the mindset of myself and my future husband) will do most of the housework, here are the tips

1. Avoid repeat the work that I do not want to do.
2. Ask my husband when there is work that need to be done, not waiting and expecting until he takes the initiative to do. That will lead to the disappointment...
3. SHOW MY GRATITUDE FOR WHAT HE DID, EVEN IF IT DOES NOT SATISFY MY EXPECTATION

B. For him, ask or show him that I need him to show gratitude for what I did (He did, but I need more I guess =)) )

C. For both of us:

1. List what should be done for a week or a month, to know and understand each other's contribution
2. Understand each other's limitation in the house work, to mention the problem in calm...

No comments: